Remember, remember the history of who I am
Often forgotten out of fear or shame
The stories come to the surface to be shared
Only to realize there is of nothing to be scared
The stories of my youth, regaled with reflection
Are nothing more than youthful genuflection
That part of my story is key, I often forget
But really, it is just a result of neglect
Who I was and who I am are in fact the same
Now I am to realize how much I have to gain
These stories to be retold come out quite bold
New insights to remember the days of old
Now, I come to realize what has happened
I really was quite smart, compassionate and blackened
So much of me was hidden under the depression
As the years wore on, the outside became the expresion
I was smart in school, volunteered and loved music
What I did was quite, for myself and others, therapeutic
I did so much more than for which I give myself credit
It is a shame I felt over the years to greatly self-edit
Memories fade away with a smile on my face
I have someone new with which to share my grace
Oddly enough, he understands it really quite well
This has given me new hope to break the old spell
Being misunderstood, hidden and confused were my norm
All of the sudden I feel understood seen and warm
Maybe that time of my life wasn't all so bad after all
I was bold, beautiful, and stood quite tall
I was also hurt, broken, bent and beaten in a cloud of pain
Only music could get through to me while the rest abstain
I knew not of another type of life I could live
The darkness I knew became my friend, to keep me alive
Oh, how many times that darkness nearly did me in
But I survived to live another day, I was allowed to begin
Each day anew it was an opportunity to change my dance
Always had to remember that music was my best chance
It was the best time that I felt alive, feeling the earth's pulse
Even though I surrounded myself in a haze in impulse
It kept me going and made me feel a part of something more
I really did need what it gave me to believe what is in store
In a world where I believed dreams could come true
I lived my life fully, even started each day anew
Along the way I forgot of how to live with my heart
It was my way out after my mind protecting from the start
Somehow my emotional being became disconnected
I was wrong; it has simply been neglected
When the world falls down around your ears
It is easy to revert back to old fears
Spirit and heart bright, my body and mind took flight
Only I didn't see it through the haze, especially at first light
My comfort zones were at night, hidden by the shadows
They absorbed my whole self in the foggy meadows
Come out into the sun, my child-self, to the warmth
Use your compass to find your due north
That little voice inside guides you along in trust
It's okay to know that some things do turn to dust
The girl you once were was very true but lost
She is you and you are her, it's time to cross
Remember, remember the truth of what was
Everything always happens, not just because
Let into the light the inside of who I was then
Take what I know and begin again
It all starts anew today, tomorrow and the next
I already have all the ingredients to be my best